I love a good rummage through a charity shop or car boot sale and I love a bargain from the pound shop. This DIY features just that...a Poundland bargain (albeit not that exciting in it's original state). This tutorial will show you how to transform your basic cheese grater into a pretty earring holder that you'll want to have out on display.
All you need for this DIY is the following:
Basic 4-sided cheese grater from Poundland (£1)
Some Plastikote Fat-Dry Project Enamel Spray (I chose Crème de la Crème)
Some silk flower heads
Silk embroidery thread
A Glue Gun
If your grater (like mine) has a silicone edging along the bottom, you need to remove this first, it should just pull off easily.
Then just set yourself up and area to spray your grater. If possible, do this outside, if not then just make sure you are in a well-ventilated area.
You might need to do a couple of coats depending on the colour you choose and the effect you want. I did 2 coats and my grater looked like this
Next you need to fire up your trusty glue gun! (I love this part!) You can of course use other craft glues but I like the results of using a glue gun as it's quick, easy, no toxic fumes and dries fast! Start by applying a small line of glue along the bottom edge of the graters handle and then lay the ribbon over the glue...do this little by little until the ribbon reaches all the way round.
You then need to start winding your embroidery silk around the handle. If you don't have one long piece, just tie a few odd pieces together and hide the knots as you wrap the thread around. You can cover as much or as little of the handle as you like. Secure the end by tying a knot.
Now we will attach the silk flower heads (mine are from Ebay). Apply the glue to the flower heads on the side that you will stick to the threaded handle...like so:
Keep adding flowers, filling in the gaps until you are happy with the finished look. I used 6 flower heads for mine and the end result is this:
My vintage earrings now have somewhere special to 'hang-out' and have pride of place on top of my dresser.
This is an easy and versatile project that can be adapted to suit any style.