Thursday, 8 May 2014

DIY Pom Pom Peacock Chair

Okay, so it's not technically a Peacock Chair but what this little chair of love lacks in grandeur size, it makes up for in its' quirks. I've been on the look-out for a proper Peacock Chair for sometime now, but they're either really expensive (r-e-a-l-l-y expensive) or very hard to come by...so I've compromised and I have 2 different styles of 'Peacock' Chairs. 'Why you need more than one' is what my Husband says but I'd happily have one in every room if I could...all different and unique. I'd have an army of them on the garden decking where my friends and I would hang out and have afternoon tea in the sunshine (for the 1 day of Summer that England sees each year anyway). Alas my rejuvenated chair sits happily in the conservatory with pride of place.
 
I bought this chair for about £20 I think which is not too bad, but it is a little tired looking so I probably could have bartered them down a little. 
It started out it's journey in it's natural wicker state.


My original idea was to colour the chair using spray paints. This would be quicker and with the paint being sprayed, the particles would find their way through gaps and nooks meaning more of the chair was painted. However, after a visit to B&Q I realised that this would be quite costly as I'd need at least 4 or 5 cans to get an even coat and colour. Always one for a bargain, I picked up a tin of Ronseal paint in Ash Grey, reduced to £8...and there's still half a tin left for another project. What's more is that it's suitable for painting wood so I knew I wouldn't need to prime the chair or give it a base coat.


I had in mind a bright turquoise colour but with a tight budget I had to opt for what was on offer instead. I'm kinda glad it happened this way in the end as it meant that I had to use my imagination more to up-cycle the chair and make it look interesting without just relying on the colour. Plus, the neutral tone will compliment any room and decor.


I gave the chair 3 coats of paint before I was happy with the final shade. I'm not gonna lie... it took a looonng time to paint as you had to get right in there with your brush and make sure every little bit got covered, but I'm happy with the end result so the time and effort put in paid off.


Then, with a little bit of vision, I began to embellish the chair with embroidery silks and wool. I simply followed the line of the chair and wrapped wand weaved the the yarn and thread in places until I created a look I liked.


 
Having done a recent DIY post on a pom pom wall hanging, I had a mountain of surplus Pom Poms begging to be used...so on these went as well! 
A string of multi sized pom poms' was attached to the base of the chair by simply knotting the garland in place. Others were suspended from the arms, left free to move about, perched in the corners of the arm rests and dotted along the back of the chair.








The chair was complete with a cushion I made using vintage fabric from Mums' stash that used to belong her mother.


It's not perfect, but it's mine and I love it.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Custom Blogger Template Made by pipdig