Monday, 2 June 2014

DIY Marbled Plant Pots

My first experience of marbling was back when I was 9 or 10 and at Primary School. We had the best teacher ever, Mrs Portman, and we'd always be getting up to fun stuff alongside Maths and English. I just remember marvelling at how these inks were laying delicately on the surface of the water, and by gently swirling you could make these incredible, unpredictable patterns. We made paper that day, a lot of paper, and I've been captivated ever since.

I've been noticing a lot of DIY's on Pinterest of late, using water and nail polish to create the marbling effect, not just to create amazing nail art but to jazz up your home wares too. I thought I'd put it to the test myself as I have some seeds that need planting a some pots that are in need of a little 'something something'.


You will need:

Plant pots, Choice of nail polish, tooth picks and a bucket or tub with some plain old tap water in.

Once you have your tub or bucket, put an inch or two of water in it and start the marbling process by adding drops of your chosen nail polishes.
At first I was just taking my sweet time, layering up the colours, a dab here and dot there. Using my toothpick to create pretty swirls.






And my pot ended up in a big mess like this...


This was because the nail polish had started to set and harden on the surface of the water and formed a film,  which stopped it from adhering to the pot.

Sooo...I was gonna have to work fast and not be so precious about creating pretty patterns. I decided to use just 3 colours for each design too, allowing me to work quicker and still be able to achieve some swirled patterns with a toothpick.

I recommend doing a couple of tests on plain paper first or failing that, have some nail polish remover handy (just in case).

I literally poured and dripped the nail polish into the tub in any old way, layering up the colours, then grabbed a toothpick and quickly swirled the colours.


Then, starting at one end I rolled my pot along the surface of the marbled mixture until I had coated all of the outside of the pot.
 I secured my pots on a small mound of blue-tack as I let them dry.

Clean up any residue that you may have still in your tub by taking a cotton bud and twizzling it around in the water until you have caught up all the excess nail polish.

Once my pots were all completed and dried, I sewed my chilli seeds (slightly too late in the year for this but we'll see how it goes).




 In the end...the results were great. It definitely took practice and is a slightly messy job, albeit satisfying and cheap to do. Some of the Nail Polish I already had and the others I picked up for £1 a bottle. I love how different each one is and how the colour of the pots peep through. Limiting the designs to just 3 colours still gives great results and allows time to create more intricate swirls.

Hopefully those chilli plants will start to blossom in their new home soon.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Custom Blogger Template Made by pipdig