300ml Double Cream
300g Caster Sugar
2 x Large Free Range Eggs (lightly beaten)
400g Self Rasing Flour
Finely grated rind of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/2 - 1 Jar of Lemon Curd
100g White Chocolate Chips
250g Cream Cheese (at room temp.)
125g Salted Butter (at room temp.)
200g Icing Sugar
Finely grated rind of 1 x Lemon
Juice of 1 x Lemon
Few drops of Natural Yellow Food Colouring (optional)
White Chocolate Buttons (to decorate)
Bakes in 15-20 minutes and makes approximately 24 cupcakes
1)Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2)Start by whisking the double cream until thick.
3) Add to this the remaining cake ingredients, apart from the chocolate chips, and whisk until fully combined. Fold in the choc chips.
4) Distribute the cake mixture evenly between the cake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes are fully cooked. I always use a skewer or knife to put in the centre of the cakes, and if they come out clean, you know they're done.
5) Once the cakes have fully cooled, using an apple corer (or teaspoon if you don't have one), remove the centre of each of the cupcakes. This will create a channel for which you will fill with the lemon curd.
6) Fill the centre of each cake with the lemon curd. Don't worry too much about being neat, you will be covering the top of the cakes with frosting.
7) For the frosting, simply whisk all the ingredients together until smooth. The mixture is not really thick enough to pipe onto the cakes so just spoon it on and smooth it out. Finish off by adding a few chocolate buttons.
Grab a cup of tea, a cupcake and sit in the sunshine and enjoy!